Thursday, January 31, 2013

This and That

This and That,

I got some crochet projects done. I made a hat, a pair of wrist warmer and a mug cozy for my daughter and I have already sent it to her in India. The white placemates are finally done.

(Terminei alguns projetos de crochet. Fiz um chapeuzinho, um par de...? (nao tenho a menor idea do que se chama em Portugues mas e como luvas mas não cobre os dedos :) ) e fiz algo pra cobrir o tação de cafe. Ja mandei pra ela que esta na India. Tambem terminei o joguinho Americano em branco.)

In terms of food, here are a  few things that we love in the Winter in this house. We eat lots of chicken, it has less cholesterol than beef and one can make light dishes with it.There are thousands of ways to prepare chicken. Here simple chicken with herb de Provence. Brown rice with herbs from my garden, olive oil and just a bit of safron that my friend gave me as gift. Avocado smoothie is a must some Sundays. Finally , a  nice soup always hits the spot in such cold Winter days! Red lentil soup with coconut.  I foudn the soup recipe through pinterest.  http://www.scalingbackblog.com/?s=red+lentil+coconut+soup&searchsubmit=Find  It will get to -40  tonight! Brrrrrh!
In termos de comida aqui esta algumas coisas que gostaos no Inverno nessa casa. Comemos muita galinha, tem menos cholesterol do que beef. Existe muitas maneiras de preparar galinha. Fiz uma galinha simples com o tempero : Hervas de Provence.  Arroz escuro com hervas do meu jardin, azeite de oliva e Safron que uma amiga min presenteou. Vitamina de abacate e imperativo em alguns Domingos. Claro uma boa sopa e maravilhoso nesses dias frios de inverno.  Fiz essa sopa que vi em Pinterest. Soupa de Lentilhas vermelhas com leite de coco.  A receita encontrei atraves de Pinterest. Aqui esta , sei que esta em Ingles mas voce pode colocar no google pra traduzir.  Hoje vai chegar a menos de - 40 Farenheit. Muito frioooo.
Avocado smoothie:
 Red lentil Coconut soup:
Sopa de letinha vermelha com leite de coco.
 

red lentil coconut soup

Red lentil coconut soup
adapted from 101 Cookbooks
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups red split lentils
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch dice
  • 1 fresh jalapeno or serrano chili, finely chopped, including seeds
  • 1 tablespoon fresh peeled and minced ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste
  • 7 cups water
  • 1 can unsweetened light coconut milk
  • 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
  • fresh cilantro and lime wedges for serving
Method:
Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pan and add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened and start to take on some color.  Add the garlic, ginger, spices and tomato paste and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until the mixture is toasty and fragrant.  Add the water, coconut milk, lentils and chickpeas and cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes adding the lime juice at the end of cooking.  Taste and adjust with more salt or more lime juice if desired.  Serve the soup topped with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and some extra limes on the side.

Ok, this one ...this is my daughter's cat that we are babysitting. He loves the bathroom which is the warmest place around. He loves the top of the drier so we let him there on his little bed. Wishing you a lovely weekend.
Esse e o gato da minha filha que esta morando conosco por enquanto. Ela gosta do lugar mais quentinho da casa. Ele adora ai em cima da secadora de ropas na caminha dele. Desejando um lindo fim de semana!



14 comments :

  1. Wait a minute! Did you say you crocheted this white placemat? It's gorgeous, and the stitches look so tiny and intricate! I'm so impressed by your workmanship. Surely this will be a treasured family heirloom. I also love your red crocheted projects. I have a pair of wrist warmer's and it's amazing how they keep me warm! Your daughter is lucky to receive such beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel! Brush** You are so kind! My daughter is using her wrist warmers, she is in India and they are very cold over there.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what I am drooling over more, the food or the crochet! The food goes without saying. I will be trying that soup recipe and soon.
    Oh the crochet loves! That placemat really has me wanting to cast some on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had the talent to take good food photography, that photo doesn't do justice to that great soup. I really liked it and want to make it again. Thanks Andi!!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks beautiful, and delicious1 But the pussy cat really got me...too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen! That cat is so loved! My daughter miss him, that is her cat.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's what I said when I saw the good photo of this soup on pinterest. :)

      Delete
  5. Angela, thanks for visiting my blog. I love your coffee mug cozy. Your photos are beautiful, so I appreciate your comment about mine. I'll now have to browse around a little, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit. Please browse all you want :) I love Canada, we have a few friends from there. Have a good week!!

      Delete
  6. Oi Angela, tudo bem?

    Como você anda inspirada. Ficaram lindos os mimos de crochê q fez para sua filha. Tudo tão perfeito.

    E essa refeição deliciosa, ah me deu uma vontade de experimentar essa sopa, e uma vontade de beber vitamina de abacate - tudo parece tão gostoso.
    Nada melhor do que uma sopinha gostosa nesse frio danado.

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading your recipe, and about avocados, makes me realize how nice it would be NOT to eat Italian food once in awhile, and to be able to buy spices, and ingredients to make "exotic" meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Italian food!!! However I do understand you mean. I live in the middle of nowhere so either buy lots of things online or get lots of things when I go to a bigger city.

      Delete