Thursday, January 14, 2016

January in cold North!

January has been good so far! 

Hope you are all having a good January and for those who live in snowy country like I do perhaps I could cheer you up by saying that Spring is almost around the corner. Ok not quite around the corner but it will be here soon for sure. We are founding out that it does get cold around here. We got temps around -15 Farenheit. I have been looking for a job and living in the middle of nowhere rural America doesn't help. The population is around 100 hab. The nearest town is about 42 min from here. I thought about looking for a "work from home job." Well...I don't even know where and how to look for these types of jobs. I am a nurse but not sure if I want to go back to that for in the past few years I have been working as an interpreter (Portuguese, English, Spanish are my languages.) I am not too happy if I will have to commute about 1.5 hrs each day to and from work. In between time I can do some fun crafts!


Mimo was checking what I had in my hands...yes I assured him it was only a camera. These sweaters are fun to make.  I got this free pattern from justcrochet. I went back there to find a link and could not find this same one which is "Free Baby Crochet Pattern Newborn Coat and Hat Set." However they have other pattern similar to this.

Coaster made from lefover yarn.
I have a desire to learn basic knitting.
I got a diffuser and love it. A friend (Kat who is brother in law ex-wife) helped me to get the essential oils. She gets them for a good price. The house is now filled with peppermint aroma. The diffuser changes color, you can have it in one set color or in constant change. Looks pretty in dark bathroom.  The essential oils are doTerra. Peppermint promotes good respiratory function, clear breathing. It promotes good digestion and repels bugs like spiders for example.
Blue is pretty.
Also had time to assemble this caleidoscope. The man who makes these is a friend of ours, Leonard Olson.  His work is incredible. During Christmas time he got almost all sold out.  You should take a look at his stuff. I walked in and a lovely aroma was in the air coming from the wood he was working on which was central American rosewood. Channel 4 _Iowa had a great article about him and his business. Facebook His link  and for the Kaleidoscope factory 
https://www.facebook.com/kaleidoscopefactory/?pnref=lhc
A friend gifted me this adult coloring book. I decided to pick the one with smaller print and have discovered that I am late for my eyes to be checked out. It is getting harder to see. The idea of the coloring book is to help us to calm down and lower stress.
  I have made these crochet cup sleeve. It's nice to have one or so in the glove compartment. You can use all types of stiches and it will turn out cute. I have made them also with a small ribbon and tiny bow.
It was snowing today the whole day. The visibility was less than good. This was a few hours ago.
This photo was taken a couple of days ago.

May your January be peaceful!

Angela

30 comments :

  1. I love the crochet work, especially the vibrant blues. Great work.

    I can understand you not wanting a long drive to and from a day of work as a nurse. That would be hard, especially with winter road conditions. Good luck with your job search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snowy landscape looks completely surreal, so beautiful, though I understand it mustn't be so fun if it means staying at home a lot! Good luck with your job search. In France, we have what we call "independant nurses" who don't work in hospitals, but go from home to home to visit and help people who have a medical problems. Is that something that exists where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have travel nurse in here and they go to nursing homes or hospitals. I am not so sure that I would like to go back to nursing since it has been such a long time I worked as a nurse. The job I loved and that I did for over 7 years was interpreter in a clinic. They do not use interpreters here in clinics or hospitals in this state of North Dakota where we are now. Sad!

      Delete
    2. Our hospital went to what we call "interpreter on a stick" and the interpreter is skipped in and visible on a screen to the patient- you might be able to do this from home. You have a great combination of your nursing and language skills!

      Delete
  3. Your crochet work is beautiful. Don't blame you not wanting to have a lomg commute. Happy 2016, Thanks for,your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do lovely crochet work! I just loved the baby sweater and hat, and of course, the coffee cup sleeves are just too cute! I don't think I would be any good at the coloring either... lol! It does seem to be a big thing now. ND is a lot colder than where we are. We get a lot of snow, but not the minus temps, and I love that about where we live.

    One thing you might look into is a call-a-nurse job. My SIL did that for years from home. You use a computer program to walk the patients through their symptoms, and give basic advice to them. That might also work for you as an interpreter too, as they may have non-English language patients calling. Anyway, just a thought, and maybe it will help :)

    Hope it is not too cold there for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the idea! It is something I should look into it.
      I hope to visit Idaho someday in the future, the photos as see looks like a beautiful state!

      Delete
  5. I don't blame you not wanting to drive that every day, my journey to work is just under an hour if roads clear, so it adds 2 hours to my working day - my choice I have to admit but it does make me very tired. Lovely crochet work and beautiful snow photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If roads were always good I would not mind driving but icy roads are no fun!:)

      Delete
  6. All the lovely crochet is making me so happy!
    I totally get the not wanting to commute to work. There was a great article by Monster.com about telehealth positions for nurses. Maybe look into something like this?
    http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/getting-started/work-at-home-options-for-nurses/article.aspx
    Good luck love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy making those and donating them Andi! Thank you for the idea from Monster.com !

      Delete
  7. I really like your little flower-shaped coaster. That is darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you for the visit and comment!

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your job search Angela. I now how difficult a job hunt can be and I definitely know about commuting. I currently travel about 1 hour and 15 minutes a day to go to work and back. Best of luck to you. I am sure something wonderful is in the works for you.

    I love the little sweaters and crocheted flowers. So adorable. And the gorgeous photos of the snow are perfect.

    Have a great week and thanks for visiting.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janet you do travel a lot. Here it would be in icy roads, dense fog, etc and that is no fun. Thank you for the visit.

      Delete
  9. Yo también empecé a colorear un libro de dibujos para adultos... pero mi mano acaba con dolor. Suerte en la búsqueda de trabajo. Un saludo desde España

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es mucho trabajo a colorir tudo en una pagina! Gracias Sopa Azul!!

      Delete
  10. I used to crochet a little, enough to make a lopsided blanket ;) it's therapeutic. You're very good at it! The snow pictures are lovely. It's supposed to rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow here this weekend... I hope it's all rain if it's not all snow. Such a mess on the roads! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to crochet a little, enough to make a lopsided blanket ;) it's therapeutic. You're very good at it! The snow pictures are lovely. It's supposed to rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow here this weekend... I hope it's all rain if it's not all snow. Such a mess on the roads! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of the things you made are so pretty! You are very talented. It is snowing here in Tennesse today. Sure will be glad when Spring gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very crafty---all quite beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Angela - Your crocheted (that looks wrong) baby clothes are lovely. If you can't find work, maybe you should consider opening an Etsy shop. You're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's my way to fill empty time. I have thought about an Etsy too :)

      Delete
  15. what gorgeous photos, Angela...the babywear is so very sweet too
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such sweet little things for a special baby! I wish you well on your job hunt. Have you looked around to see what job(s) are available locally? Maybe time for another switch? I wish you well. Thank you for your visits to my blog - even when I haven't been blogging. They have been encouraging. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete