Friday, December 23, 2016

Merry Christmas -2016

 Asked son if he would help with the pomanders and he did a good job! He came home for Christmas. It was a 9 hrs trip for him and were happy when he arrived safely. We will not have our Christmas meal and gift opening in this house till the 25th.
 He made us breakfast which was his favorite whole wheat waffles. It was a nice dark wheat.
 This cranberry Christmas cake tasted so delicious! The tartness of the cranberries really adds a mouth watering flavor. Wish I had better photos. I got the recipe here.
 My paperwhites are coming along!
 With nephews and nieces now married with little children of their own now there are more gifts to take along in the trip back home.
 Simplicity is the thing around here. The table was just for the three of us. Our daughter and husband are not going to be with us for Christmas, they are in some Island far away. They joined her in-laws and they are staying there for a couple of months. We miss her but we got to see her last October which was so good.

 Large napkins are actually smaller sack towels. I got the idea from pinterest. :)
 This is the sweet potato recipe from the new magazine from Joana and Chip Gaines. I used the disposable pan because I 'm taking this all the way to Iowa. This way I will not need to run the risk of forgetting my pans there. It's a bit far to try to retrieve them if I need it. I will freeze like this then when read to cook put in the oven for 10 min. We will celebrate with that side of the family on the 28th. The three of us here at home will have our Christmas meal tomorrow the 25th. When do you have your celebration? Share your traditions, it is interesting to hear how every family celebrates.



 A fast supper made with four different cheeses, pecorino, Kerry Gold cheese, queso fresco and Goat cheese with herbs. On bottom right two types of liver pates. Cornichons, fig spread, flat bread crackers and the bread was homemade (given to us by a friend.) It's English muffin bread. We also had herbed salami and several nuts. Lazy way to put food in the table if you're busy.


Compote of crab apple also a gift! I had never had it before and oh heavens what a delicious treat. The color is so beautiful. I am thankful for this. The friend who gave to us got it from someone else who had it homemade. I have to learn how to make it...but then where would I get the crabapples?
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas time with loved ones. Around here we pray for ourselves but also for the world. We are keeping warm, drinking lots of hot chocolate, playing board games and enjoying each other's company.  Peace, love and joy as we prepare for the birth of Christ!
Hugs,
Angela


21 comments :

  1. dear angela,
    beautiful photos. your home looks wonderful.
    i wish you and your family a merry christmas!
    hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina! We had a great time!

      Delete
  2. The photos make me feel at home, Angela. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you and yours enjoy a warm and special Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Happy holidays and best wishes for 2017. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those waffles wth maple syrup look great. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your table decor. It's one of the prettiest "simple" Christmas tables I've seen this year. The bottom plate in your place settings looks just like my Pottery Barn dinnerware. Years ago I found four place settings for $20 at a thrift store. All in perfect condition. I couldn't believe my good fortune. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your son and that you travel safely to visit your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! You're so kind! I got those plates at tjmaxx, it says it was made in Germany. I like that they are wide although a bit heavy. These were a bargain also :)

      Delete
  7. That's a long journey home for your son, we are enjoying having our son home for Christmas too. Your meals and decorations around your home look delightful. I hope you had a wonderful time. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your son is home with you for Christmas Sarah. It's so good to have our loved one close for the holidays. Thank you for the kind comments!

      Delete
  8. It all looks wonderful, Angela! I am glad that your son was able to make it home to spend Christmas with you. We had part of our family here, too. Everyone is scattered across the world these days, so we are grateful when we get to visit! All the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had part of your family with you for the celebrations Kim. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Bom dia Angela.

    I see you had a great Christmas time, and that's is great, after all Christmas is supposed to be a special time with our families.

    I wish you a healthy, happy, and blessed 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina! Hope this is a great year for you and your family!!

      Delete
  10. The decorations and food look amazing! I wish I could try it!

    ReplyDelete