Thursday, January 12, 2017

January days

January blessings, our son had safe travels back to school. Daughter and her husband also had safe travels to and from Bali and Gili Islands. Husband has been managing the icy roads ok around here. We are thankful for these blessings! I got a Tomte (Tomten), ( Santa Claus)  It was a gift and it was said it brings good luck. I want to get the book "The Tomten by Astrid Lindgren but it seems to be unavailable now. I may have to buy a used one somewhere. The kids in the family will like it.
Back door has a cap!
 Un update on those paperwhites



This is Mungunza!! Brazilian Mungunza. I love this for breakfast! I prefer served nice and warm.  Hominy, milk, some coconut and cinnamon. The recipe will be posted below.
Brazilian Mungunza with cinnamon on top.

A few years ago a pen pal sent me a huge box full of books and newpapers from Finland when I told him I was trying to learn Finnish. I have not learned well but lately I have thought about getting to brush up a bit since I heard it is good for an aging brain to keep learning things. I have forgotten a lot of the little Finnish I had learned, which is a shame since I love that language.


Here is the recipe for Brazilian Mungunza


2 (15oz) cans of  white hominy
1 and 1/2 can of whole milk
3/4 can of sweetened condensed milk

3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup thick coconut milk ( I used a can)
1 stick of cinnamon
6 cloves

Drain the hominy add the milks, the cinnamon stick, the coconut flakes, cinnamon stick and cloves to the pan and cook for 20 minutes. Stir it occasionally.  When done remove the cinnamon stick and the cloves from the pan. Transfer to serving plates or ramekins if serving as dessert. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Serve warm or chilled. 
May your days be full of wonder and new learning opportunities!
Hugs,
Angela


7 comments :

  1. Such an interesting post, Angela, from the Tomten, to Finnish, to the Munguza. I learned some things. Good luck with the Finnish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I had no idea what hominy was, so I looked it up and it was very interesting. I don't think we have it in Brittany stores, but I'll still look for it as the organic store not far from Cottage has many different things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Munguza sounds like a wonderful treat! Does it taste a bit like tapioca? Our family loves warm tapioca pudding as a treat in the winter. Glad that your husband is managing the icy roads ok. You did a great job with the potholder without a pattern, yeah for you! And Finnish is a very interesting language, isn't it one of the harder languages to learn? Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The munguza looks like rice pudding. My mother made rice pudding and always sprinkled cinnamon on top. The Tomten is so adorable. Very Nordic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your visit ladies!! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tomten is very cute. When I was a child we had the book in Japanese, I had no idea till recently it was by Astrid Lindgren. She's such a great author, my favourite ever picture book her "Runaway Sleigh Ride". It's out of print now, but I managed to snag a copy the library in my hometown was getting rid of, which is quite amazing as I'm only there once every couple of years. I was so excited! I didn't remember the few lines of a drinking song in it though :) I've read some of her other books to the kids and they like them, I also really like Christmas in Noisy Village, so homey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little Tomten. I wonder if he's still out? He's so cute, I think I would need him by my side all winter (and maybe spring and summer too!) long!!

    ReplyDelete